Use hallway space to your greatest advantage. Transform underutilized hallway space into a focal point with the creative use of color! Using paint to add color to the walls, ceiling and floors within a hallway space can turn what was once meaningless space into warm, welcoming areas within the home interior (see Color Solutions).
Decorative Ideas: The deliberate use of color can alter the appearance of hallways.
- Light shades of color make compact hallways appear
- Visually "shorten" the feel of a long hallway by selecting a darker tone, and paint the end wall using this color selection.
- To create a hallway that is wider in appearance, paint the ceiling and floors in a hue that is darker than the wall coverings.
- Odd shaped hallways can be given the illusion of greater balance by painting the ceiling and floors in darker shades to create a squared appearance.
- View the Spatial Effects video for more information
Remember that for hallway color choice to blend harmoniously, colors should blend with the surrounding, existing color scheme and overall décor.
> Back to Inspirations